On the present site of the Carlton Hotel, now known as the Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel, there were originally three inns – 'At the Green Tree', 'The National' and 'At the Hungarian King' – which were rebuilt, joined and later renamed. In 1896 the first film performance in Bratislava was presented in the hotel's Fencing Hall, and from 1905 films were regularly screened here in the city's first permanent cinema, The Electro-Bioscop, which had a capacity of 200 seats. During their visits to the city, guests like Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Edison and German zoologist Alfred Brehm stayed at the hotel. From 1928 to 1930 Milan Michal Harminc was responsible for the complete conversion of the old inns into one hotel, which was renamed The Carlton. The three buildings were joined into one with a common facade, and extended to three floors, which created what at that time was the biggest hotel in Bratislava, with 400 beds. The hotel reopened in 2002 after a major reconstruction.