official site for visitors to Bratislava
Path: Home Page > Accommodation > Search
Church and Convent of the Order of St. Clare
This Gothic church, owned by the Order of St Clare, was built in 1302 on the site of a former monastery. The interior later acquired its ornate baroque decoration. Its dominant architectural feature is its five-sided tower. The attached convent was once a grammar school at which the composer Béla Bartók and the Slovak inventor Jozef Murgaš were educated.
According to legend, the Gothic tower was built by a knight, Christian, out of love for a nun, Matilda. Their love was frustrated by the convent's mother superior, who promised Christian the girl and then reneged on her promise. Today, the church hosts services and concerts. The premises of the adjacent convent are used by the University Library.
811 01 Bratislava
- Centre - pedestrian precinct
Placing: Organizational items
> What to See
> Church and Convent of the Order of St. Clare
Display search form »
Mode No graphics is currently switched on.