Sister sites


  BratislavaVisit

official site for visitors to Bratislava  


Find

Help | Advanced Search


Path: Home Page > Wining and Dining > Restaurants > Slovak cuisine


 
 

What to See

 
 
Contacts
  • Museum of Croatian Culture in Slovakia, tel.: 02/2049 3101
    Croats first arrived in significant numbers in Slovakia during the 16th century, following the Ottoman Turkish occupation of the southern part of the Hungarian Kingdom, which at that time included Croatia. Devínska Nová Ves still has a Croatian-speaking community, and is now the location of the Museum of Croatian Culture in Slovakia, a specialised branch of the Slovak National Museum.
  • Sculpture at St. Martin´s Cathedral
    The earliest surviving monumental work of central European sculpture to be fashioned from lead can be found in Bratislava's St Martin’s Cathedral. It is a sculptural group created by Georg Raphael Donner in 1734 for the main altar of the cathedral. Nowadays the sculptural group is in a side nave of the church, presented as a freestanding work on a quadrangular pedestal. It depicts Saint Martin astride a rampant horse, bending down to a beggar and cutting his overcoat to share it with the poor man.
  • Presidential Palace Garden
    Behind the Presidential Palace (Grassalkovich Palace) on Hodžovo Square is a handsome park (originally the gardens of the palace) with old trees and lawns. It was originally created as a French formal garden and still offers a quiet space away from the bustle of the city. It contains a statue of the Empress Maria Theresa on horseback, the Fountain of Youth by prominent Slovak sculptor Tibor Bártfay, and avant-garde statues by contemporary artists. Dogs and bicycles are not allowed, so it's a safe place to let kids run loose (there is also a small playground).
  • Church of St. Nicholas
    This baroque church, dedicated to the patron saint of fishermen and boatmen, was built in 1661 on the ruins of a 14th-century Gothic church. Since 1950 the church has served the Orthodox community.
  • Apponyi Palace, tel.: +421 2 544 346 90
    The rococo Apponyi Palace nowadays houses the Museum of Viticulture, part of Bratislava City Museum. The palace formerly belonged to Hungarian nobleman Count George Apponyi.
  • Michael´s Gate
    The bulbous yet elegant copper roof of Michael's Gate is one of the symbols of Bratislava. The roof of the original Gothic tower, built in the mid 14th century, was modified between 1753 and 1758 to give it its current, baroque style.
  • Academia Istropolitana
    The Academia Istropolitana, the first humanist university in the former Hungarian kingdom, was founded in Bratislava by King Matthias Corvinus in 1465. This was of immense significance for the development and spread of humanist philosophy in the Hungarian kingdom. One of the European pedagogues who taught here was Johannes Muller Regiomontanus (1436-1476), who lectured on the movement of the Earth around the Sun 100 years before Galileo. Today the building houses the Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava.
  • Bratislava Castle, tel.: +421 2 544 114 44
    The castle, on a hill above the old town, dominates the city of Bratislava. It features in the first written reference to the city, which appears in the Annals of Salzburg of 907, in association with a battle between Bavarians and Hungarians. The castle hill was populated as early as the late Stone Age; its first known inhabitants were the Celts, who founded a fortified settlement here called ‘Oppidum’.
  • Devín Castle, tel.: +421 2 657 301 05
    Devín Castle, a national cultural monument, is located at the foot of a cliff above the confluence of the Danube and Morava Rivers. This strategically important site has been settled since the late Stone Age by a succession of groups, from the Celts to the Romans, the Goths to the Lombards, and many more.
  • St. Martin´s Cathedral
    Bratislava's three-nave Gothic cathedral is built on the site of a previous, Romanesque church, dedicated to the Holy Saviour, from 1221. After 1291, when Bratislava was given the privileges of a town, the church was rebuilt to become part of the city walls (its tower served as a defensive bastion). The present church was consecrated in 1452.
  • House at the Good Shepherd
    This four-storey rococo house was built in the 1760s to fill a wedge-shaped area between two converging streets. It has an extremely narrow front, one room and a staircase wide, and is regarded as one of the most attractive houses in Bratislava. It got its name from the statue of Christ ('the Good Shepherd') inset into the corner of the building. Today it houses a Clock Museum with a unique exhibition of sixty historical clocks.
  • Franciscan Church and Monastery
    The Franciscan Church, consecrated in 1297, is one of the jewels of Slovak Gothic architecture, although its façade has been rebuilt in the baroque style. It contains an original Gothic crossed arcade corridor and the 14th-century chapel of St John the Evangelist ranks among the rarest Gothic monuments in Slovakia.
  • Ganymede´s Fountain
    This fountain was designed in 1888 by Bratislava-born V. Tilgner (who also created the putti on the adjacent Opera House). It depicts figures from ancient mythology: an eagle carries the young Ganymede to the top of Mount Olympus, on the order of the Goddess Dia, so that he can serve the Gods. On the upper part of the middle basin there are sculptures of aquatic creatures and, lower down, the central column is surrounded by figures of children holding four types of fish from the River Danube – carp, catfish, sander and pike. From the fishes' mouths water cascades into the basin. The figures on the fountain were cast by the firm A.M. Beschorner from Budapest.
  • Grassalkovich Palace
    This rococo summer palace was built in 1760 for the chairman of the Hungarian Royal Chamber and advisor to Empress Maria Theresa, Count Anton Grassalkovich. The sumptuous house was a sought-after venue for aristocratic society events. The palace is now the official residence of the President of the Slovak Republic.
  • Jesuit Church
    This large late-Renaissance church was built by Pressburg's German protestant community in 1636-1638 but confiscated from them in 1672 and given to the Jesuits the following year. The interior includes a beautiful rococo pulpit by Ľudovít Gode, a pupil of sculptor Georg Rafael Donner, and altar paintings by Franz Xaver Palko.
  • St. Catherine’s Chapel
    St Catherine’s Chapel was built at the request of Cistercian monk František of Colomba in 1311, on what is now Michalská Street. The chapel belonged to the Cistercian Order until the beginning of the 16th century, when it passed to the Capuchins. The interior is original Gothic and the façade is in the Classicist style. The main altar incorporates a picture of St Catherine and statues of St Francis and St Anne, while a side altar is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
  • Capuchin Church and Monastery
    Dedicated to St Stephen of Hungary, this church belongs to the Capuchin order, which arrived in Bratislava in 1676. The church was consecrated in 1717. It is characterised by its simple decoration, although a statue of St Stephen is located above the main portal. In front of the church is a plague column dedicated to the Virgin Mary, from 1723.
  • Keglevich Palace
    The decoration above the doorway of the Keglevich Palace consists of two lions and the coat of arms of the ancient Croatian Keglevich family with a baronial crown. Countess Babetta Keglevich, a talented pianist, was both a pupil and a good friend of Ludwig van Beethoven, who dedicated his Sonata for piano in E, opus 7, and several other small compositions to her. During Beethoven's nine-day visit to Bratislava in 1796 he organised a music academy in the palace. Today it houses the Danish Embassy and company offices.
  • Kern House
    Kern House stands on the corner of Rybárska brána (Fisherman's Gate) and Hviezdoslavovo Square. Fisherman's Gate was one of the four entrances to the mediaeval city (the others being Lawrence's, Michael's and the Vydrická Gate).
  • Calvinist Church
    This neo-Romanesque Calvinist Reform church was designed by architect Franz Wimmer and built in 1913. It displays characteristics reminiscent of the Chicago school of architecture. The site was previously occupied by the main post office, which now stands across the square.
  • The Monastery of the Church of the Merciful Brothers
    This early-baroque complex of buildings dates from 1728 and incorporates a church, monastery and hospital. Its broad façade, including a square tower, looks out over SNP Square. The hospital played a significant role during the plague of 1710-1713, and also in the revolution of 1848-1849. However, only men were cared for in the order's hospital; women were treated in St Elizabeth's Hospital on Špitálska Street. The main painting on the church's altar, The Visitation of the Virgin Mary, was painted by the Austrian artist Martin Speer.
  • The Church and Monastery of the Canonesses of Notre Dame
    This complex was built in 1754 and was planned as a four-winged structure with a single-nave church in the west wing. However, the canonesses, who provided education for girls, were unable to complete the whole building because of a lack of money. Nonetheless, a large part had already been built and remains to this day, adjacent to the Opera House.
  • Church and Convent of the Order of St. Clare
    This Gothic church, owned by the Order of St Clare, was built in 1302 on the site of a former monastery. The interior later acquired its ornate baroque decoration. Its dominant architectural feature is its five-sided tower. The attached convent was once a grammar school at which the composer Béla Bartók and the Slovak inventor Jozef Murgaš were educated.
  • Trinity Church
    Constructed in the first half of the 18th century, originally to serve the Trinitarian order, this church has been the parish church of the Holy Trinity since 1854. The church interior has superb vaulting and contains a painting by A. Galli Bibiena (1740). The architectural design of the church is similar to St Peter's in Vienna.
  • Kutschersfeld Palace
    This is the smallest rococo palace in Bratislava, and was owned by the steward of the king’s property in Magyarovar, Count L. von Kutschersfeld. It was built on the corner of Main Square (Hlavné námestie) and Sedlárska Street in 1762. The significant Russian composer and pianist A.G. Rubinstein lived and worked in the house in 1847. Since 1991 the palace has been the home of the French Embassy and the French Institute.
  • Pharmacy Salvator
    This neo-renaissance building was constructed by pharmacist Rudolf Adler in 1904. The baroque interior, which dates from 1727, is now part of a private collection. The building's facade incorporates a stone statue of the Christ the Saviour by Alojz Rigele.
  • The Manderla Building
    The Manderla Building, with its eleven floors, was the city's first high-rise building and was for a long time known as 'the Bratislava skyscraper'. It was built in 1935 by architects Ernest Spitzer and Christian Ludwig. Originally, the first floor was occupied by a café, the Grand, and a sign on top of the building, 45 metres above street level, advertised the owners name: Bratislava meat wholesaler Rudolf Manderla.
  • Zsigray’s Mansion
    This late-renaissance building dates from the mid 17th century but has been renovated several times. It is one of only two original buildings on Židovská Street to survive the late-1960s demolition work that preceded construction of the New Bridge. After its most recent restoration, the building reopened in 1993 as the Museum of Jewish Culture in Slovakia.
  • The Blue Church
    Officially known as the Church of St Elizabeth of Hungary, but commonly referred to simply as 'the Blue Church' for obvious reasons, this is Bratislava’s most appealing art nouveau building. Its style, sometimes known as Hungarian Secession, is repeated in the nearby grammar school on Grösslingová Street. Both were designed by Budapest architect Edmund Lechner and built in the early twentieth century (the church was consecrated on 11 October, 1913).
  • Leopold de Pauli’s Palace
    This palace was built for the main administrator of imperial property on the king’s estate, Leopold de Pauli, in 1775-1776. It was designed by architect Franz K. Romisch. Within the property is a garden with a charming rococo musical pavilion. Franz Liszt performed in the first-floor lounge of the palace in 1820. The palace and the pavilion are now part of the University Library.
  • Palace of the Hungarian King
    This baroque palace was designed by the imperial architect G.B. Martinelli in 1753-1756, and housed the Hungarian Diet in the 19th century. In 1847-1848, Ľudovít Štúr, the leader of the Slovak national movement, who was at the time a member of parliament for the city of Zvolen, defended Slovak interests here. Since 1953 the palace has been the home of the University Library.
  • Pálffy Palace
    This palace was built in the middle of the 19th century by Count Jan Pálffy, who was then Bratislava's highest official. During the most recent reconstruction, archaeologists uncovered the remains of a Gothic 13th-century house with a 14th-century tower. But the most significant find consisted of casting moulds from the Celtic period of settlement, proving the existence of a Celtic mint in the town. At present, the palace houses the Bratislava City Gallery's collections of Gothic paintings on glass, pictures from the Dutch and Flemish masters of the 17th and 18th centuries and works by Italian masters from the 17th and 19th centuries. Part of the premises is also devoted to temporary exhibitions.
  • Primatial Palace
    The Primatial Palace (1778-1781) was built on property originally belonging to the archbishop of Esztergom. The façade of the palace is in strictly classical style. On the roof are allegorical statues by J. Kögler and F. Prokop as well as vases by J. A. Messerschmidt. Atop the tympanum is the coat of arms of Cardinal Jozef Batthyányi, the first occupant of the palace; an iron model of his hat, weighing 150kg, crowns the building.
  • Reduta
    This sumptuous building, dating from 1911-1915, was built in eclectic style on the former site of a baroque granary from the 18th century, according to a design by Budapest architects D. Jakab and P. Komor. Lavish balls continue to be held in the Reduta building to the present day. Normally, the concert hall is the seat of the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra and serves as the venue for the annual Bratislava Music Festival. However, the hall is currently undergoing extensive renovation which is due to last until 2011. In the meantime, the Slovak Philharmonic is performing at the nearby Slovak National Theatre.
  • Maximilian´s Fountain
    The Maximilian fountain was built in 1572 in the Austrian stone workshop of Andreas Lutringer, with a financial contribution from Hungary's King Maximilian II. However, it is better known as Roland’s Fountain. It consists of a massive circular tank 9 metres in diameter. In the middle of the tank stands a 10.5-metre-high column topped by a statue of a knight in armour said to represent the knight Roland, a legendary defender of the city's rights. Others consider this to be a statue of Maximilian II.
  • Segner´s Mansion
    Segner’s Mansion was built in 1648 for the rich Italian merchant Andreas Segner. His son, Johann Andreas Segner, achieved fame by inventing the Segner-wheel, a type of water turbine still used in irrigation systems. Segner Jr was also a well-known doctor, physicist, professor of science and mathematics, and a member of several scientific associations. The portal of the building is adorned with mythological figures such as a merman and a mermaid.
  • Slavín
    The gigantic Slavín war memorial is visible from much of the city. On a hill overlooking the castle, it commemorates the city's liberation by the Red Army in April 1945. It is also a cemetery for 6,845 Soviet soldiers who died during the battles for the city and the surrounding region that took place in the final weeks of World War II.
  • Slovak National Theatre
    Bratislava's opera house – known officially as the historical building of the Slovak National Theatre – is a Neo-Renaissance-style building opened in 1886 as the City Theatre, according to the design of Viennese architects F. Fellner and H. Helmer.
  • Old Town Hall
    The history of the Old Town Hall dates back to the beginnings of the mediaeval town in the 13th century. It was then that the original Romanesque house of Mayor Jakub became the property of the city. Over the course of time Unger's House and Pawer's House were annexed to it.
  • Old Market House
    A 15th-century bastion, part of the city's mediaeval fortifications, once stood on the site of the present-day Old Market House – or Stará tržnica. In 1910 the present building, which was the first covered market in Bratislava, was erected according to an eclectic design by František Nechyba. In front of the market building is a fountain called The Lion with Coat of Arms. The fountain was assembled from parts of an older fountain and renovated in 1937. Near the fountain, under a glass canopy, the remnants of the walls of the 11th-century St Jacob's Chapel are visible.
  • Green House
    The Green House is mentioned in records from as early as the 15th century as a venue for County Parliament and Municipal Council meetings. It has seen many events and uses. Originally it was an inn selling wine; in the 17th century the trials of anti-Habsburg conspirators were held here. Later, in the 18th century, the rear of the building was rebuilt as a theatre where the town's citizens saw plays by Molière and Shakespeare for the first time. Actors also performed in the Green House for Empress Maria Theresa and her family. The house became a local landmark because of its painted green facade and rooms. The building was decorated with green ornaments of plants and figures, a style which was in vogue during the late Gothic period. On the top cornice is a Biblical stone relief showing Joshua and Caleb carrying bunches of grapes from Canaan.
  • Erdödy Palace
    The rococo Erdödy Palace was built in 1770 according to a design by Mathew Walch. Originally Count George Leopold Erdödy, the head of the court and the chairman of the Hungarian Royal Chamber, bought the four houses on the site. The buildings were then converted into a luxurious palace by his second son, Jan Nepomuk Erdödy. Once the work was completed concerts and operas were performed in the palace. The Erdödys even had their own private opera group. An extensive renovation in the 1990s restored the facade and its paintings to their original, brilliant rococo appearance.
  • Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel, tel.: +421 2 326 612 90
    On the present site of the Carlton Hotel, now known as the Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel, there were originally three inns – 'At the Green Tree', 'The National' and 'At the Hungarian King' – which were rebuilt, joined and later renamed. In 1896 the first film performance in Bratislava was presented in the hotel's Fencing Hall, and from 1905 films were regularly screened here in the city's first permanent cinema, The Electro-Bioscop, which had a capacity of 200 seats. During their visits to the city, guests like Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Edison and German zoologist Alfred Brehm stayed at the hotel. From 1928 to 1930 Milan Michal Harminc was responsible for the complete conversion of the old inns into one hotel, which was renamed The Carlton. The three buildings were joined into one with a common facade, and extended to three floors, which created what at that time was the biggest hotel in Bratislava, with 400 beds. The hotel reopened in 2002 after a major reconstruction.
  • Mirbach Palace
    The rococo Mirbach Palace was built in 1768-1770 by Bratislava brewer Michael Spech. Its last private owner, Emil Mirbach, left the palace to the city with the wish that it be used to house the City Gallery. This wish was granted and now the building houses a permanent exhibition of central European baroque paintings and statuary, as well as a space for short-term exhibitions. The palace's courtyard fountain is decorated with a sculpture, Triton and Nymph by Viktor Tilgner, depicting a woman on the shoulders of a mighty half-snake half-man.
  • Zichy Palace
    This neo-classical palace, formerly owned by Count Franz Zichy, today serves as a venue for civil wedding ceremonies and cultural events. In the early 19th century the composer Heinrich Marschner, one of the founders of German Romantic opera, served as a music teacher for the Zichy family.
  • Pallugyai House
    This neo-baroque palace was built at the end of 19th century for wine merchant Franz Pallugyai. It was formerly the site of what was the oldest house in the city, known as the Burg (castle) because of its height and shape. Back when the city had no town hall the municipal council used to meet here. During the 18th century its four floors and high roof made it the tallest building in the city.
  • Ursuline Church and Convent
    The Ursuline Church and Convent was named after the order of the sisters of St Ursula, who arrived in Bratislava in 1672. They came from nunneries in Cologne, Vienna and Liege in order to raise the daughters of aristocratic and burgher families. The Ursulines had the main altar built with a statue of the Madonna which is an exact copy of the Virgin Mary from Loreto, Italy. The wood from which the statue is carved comes from the Holy Land.
  • J.N.Hummel Museum
    A house in its courtyard on Klobučnícka ulica is marked as the birth place of the Baroque composer and piano virtuoso Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837), even though in reality Hummel was not born here.
  • Fountain of St. George and the Dragon
    This Renaissance fountain in the courtyard of the Primatial Palace depicts the struggle of St George and the dragon. His life is part of the 'Golden Legend', which was extremely widespread in early Christian Europe. According to this legend, George was an officer in the Roman army who came upon a town terrorised by a dragon. In desperation, the people chose victims for the dragon by tossing a coin. George intervened when the king's daughter had lost the toss, and proceeded to kill the dragon with a spear. Whether George existed or not, he became a symbol of the battle against evil, and a symbol of the conquest of Christianity over heathens.
  • The Waterless Well
    This well was intended to supply Bratislava Castle, but despite tunnelling to below the surface of the Danube the original well-diggers were frustrated by a 3.2 m - thick granite slab. If they had succeeded in drilling through it they would have reached a water supply fed from the Alps.
  • County House
    In 1844 this 17th-century building, formerly a Trinitarian monastery, was rebuilt and became County House. Its redesign was overseen by prominent Bratislava architect Ignaz Feigler. County House was used to hold sessions of parliament before the Slovak Parliament building next to Bratislava Castle was completed.
  • Gerulata Roman Remains, tel.: +421 2 628 593 32
    Gerulata was a Roman military camp and settlement in which soldiers and civilians lived from the second half of the 1st century to the end of the 4th century. Archaeologists have excavated its remains and it is now a museum in the Bratislava village-district of Rusovce (the museum, which is open in summer, can be reached by taking the turn at the Church of St Mary Magdalene in the village).
  • Chatam Sofer Memorial, tel.: +421 2 544 169 49
    This memorial is named after the influential Chief Rabbi of Pressburg Moshe Schreiber, also known as the Chatam Sofer, who was one of the leading figures of 19th-century European Judaism. His grave, and that of 22 others, is all that remain of a 17th-century Jewish cemetery which was destroyed in 1943. The graves were covered for decades by a concrete slab until, at the turn of the century, architect Martin Kvasnica was commissioned to design the present complex, which adheres to the strict requirements of the Halakhah (Jewish law) as well as being a striking piece of modern design.
  • Parliament
    Slovakia's parliament, or the National Council of the Slovak Republic as it's formally known, occupies one of the city's best positions, on a cliff above the Danube close to the castle. Don't go expecting the Gothic splendours of the Palace of Westminster or the Hungarian Parliament Building in Budapest: this is a rather more utilitarian affair. That said, it is less of a hassle to visit than most national parliaments: tours are conducted every working day at 2pm, or at other times by request.
  • Unique Series of Tapestries
    This series of six tapestries, which ranks among the most precious exhibits of the City Gallery, can be found on display inside the Primatial Palace. The tapestries were woven at the royal tapestry works in the English town of Mortlake, near London, in the 1630s. They are based on designs by the German artist Francis Cleyn and depict scenes from Greek mythology, in this case the tragic love of Hero, priestess of Aphrodite, for the young Leander.
  • The New Bridge
    Constructed between 1967 and 1972 across the Danube river, the New Bridge – also known as the SNP Bridge, after the Slovak National Uprising – is perhaps the city's most distinctive structure. Its designers, J. Lacko and A. Tesar, decided to suspend the steel deck of the bridge from a single pylon. At the top of the pylon, at a height of 80 metres, is a restaurant connected to the bridge itself via an inclined high-speed lift housed within one of the pylon's columns, as well as via an emergency staircase with 430 steps inside the other column. The bridge is 431.8m long and 21m wide. The total mass of the steel structure, including the pylon, is 7,537 tons.
  • Sculpture at St. Martin´s Cathedral
    The earliest surviving monumental work of central European sculpture to be fashioned from lead can be found in Bratislava's St Martin’s Cathedral. It is a sculptural group created by Georg Raphael Donner in 1734 for the main altar of the cathedral. Nowadays the sculptural group is in a side nave of the church, presented as a freestanding work on a quadrangular pedestal. It depicts Saint Martin astride a rampant horse, bending down to a beggar and cutting his overcoat to share it with the poor man.
  • The Passage
    This permanent exhibition at the Bratislava City Gallery's Pálffy Palace site (Panská 19) offers a unique experience. A stroll through the mirror-lined Passage, made up of some 15,000 books, represents a kind of symbolic "short cut across the world", according to the gallery. Passage (2004) is the work of Slovak artist Matej Krén.
  • Unique Busts by Messerschmidt
    Busts representing human natures, their physiognomic acts, grimaces and moods were created by excellent sculptor Franz Xavier Messerschmidt (1736-1783). The biggest series of portraits is in Vienna, some of them can be also found in Bratislava‘s collections of the Slovak National Gallery, nevertheless, prevailingly just in casts.
  • Prešporáčik
    Prešporáčik (a play on the old Slovak name for the city, Prešporok) is a 'mini train' providing city sightseeing tours through the otherwise traffic-free historic streets of the old town. Some tours also include the castle. The service runs daily, usually from 9.30am to 5pm, according to demand.
  • Danubiana Meulensteen Art Museum, tel.: +421 2 625 285 01
    Bratislava's newest major gallery opened in September 2000, at a dramatic site on a peninsula jutting out into the Danube River, about 15 kilometres south of the city centre. The Danubiana Meulensteen Art Museum is named after the river that surrounds it, and its sponsor, the Dutch collector and art patron Gerard H. Meulensteen.
  • ÚĽUV Design Studio, tel.: +421 2 529 641 53
    Stály výstavný priestor v centre Bratislavy, výstavná sieň pre komorné výstavy mladých autorov – talentovaných remeselníkov a dizajnérov, zameraných na tradičné postupy a výrazové prostriedky starých remesiel, výstavy študentov dizajnu
  • Bratislava City Gallery - Mirbach Palace, tel.: +421 2 544 315 56
    The rococo Mirbach Palace, which houses a branch of the Bratislava City Gallery, was built in 1768-1770 by Bratislava brewer Michael Spech. The last private owner, Emil Mirbach, left the palace to the city with the wish that it use the premises for the City Gallery.
  • Bratislava City Gallery - Pálffy Palace, tel.: +421 2 544 336 27
    This branch of the Bratislava City Gallery is housed in a palace built in the mid 19th century by Count Jan Pálffy, then Bratislava's highest official. During the most recent reconstruction, archaeologists uncovered the remains of a 13th-century Gothic house with a 14th-century tower.
  • Bratislava City Gallery - Primatial Palace, tel.: +421 2 593 562 04
    The Primatial Palace, regarded as the most beautiful Classicist building in Bratislava, was built in 1778. Entry to the palace offers visitors the chance to see its famous Hall of Mirrors, the scene of many historic events, most notably the signing of the Peace of Bratislava following Napoleon's victory over Austria-Hungary at the Battle of Austerlitz in 1805.
  • ÚĽUV Gallery, tel.: +421 2 527 313 43 - 5
    The ÚĽUV Gallery is one of the best places to see Slovak arts and crafts. It's a permanent exhibition space in the centre of Bratislava specialising in exhibitions by contemporary producers of folk art, craft-oriented design and creative folk art. ÚĽUV is a state-financed institute set up to support production of folk art products in cooperation with makers. As well as the gallery, the ÚĽUV site in Bratislava also sells folk art products, craft supplies and materials, produces folk costumes and sewing to order, and puts on courses, publishes on the subject of folk art and maintains a library.
  • Historical Museum - Bratislava Castle, tel.: +421 220 483 104
    Bratislava Castle is the site of the Historical Museum, a branch of the Slovak National Museum (SNM). It documents the development of society in Slovakia from the Middle Ages until the present day. It holds extensive collections of coins, furniture, visual arts, clocks, historical weapons, glass items, porcelain and ceramics, fashion accessories and silver articles.
  • Archaeological Museum, tel.: +421 2 592 072 75
    This museum, a branch of the Slovak National Museum, contains a collection of treasures from Slovakia's distant past and various archaeological finds from the early Stone Age up to the 13th century.
  • Natural Science Museum, tel.: 02/2046 9122
    The Natural Science Museum, a branch of the Slovak National Museum, focuses on the research, documentation and presentation of the natural environment, in particular within Slovakia. Its collections – containing approximately 2.4 million objects – make it one of the most important natural science museums in Europe. The Natural Science Museum is located by the Danube River, a few minutes' walk from the old town.
  • Devín Castle - National Cultural Monument, tel.: +421 2 657 301 05
    The national cultural monument of Devín castle is located at the foot of a cliff above a confl uence of the Danube and Morava rivers. The area has been settled in since the late Stone Age.
  • Arthur Fleischmann Museum, tel.: +421 2 541 312 11
    This museum is devoted to the life and work of Bratislava-born sculptor Arthur Fleischmann (1896-1990), whose professional career spanned six countries and four continents. The museum's permanent exhibition contains a collection of ceramic pieces from Fleischmann's early period (in the 1930s) as well as a selection of sculptural works that he created after 1938.
  • Museum of the History of Bratislava - Old Town Hall, tel.: 02/5910 0847
    This museum, part of the Bratislava City Museum, presents the history of crafts and trade, the coronation of the Hungarian kings, science, technology and the cultural life of Bratislava. It includes exhibitions on the archaeology and history of the city, and on its mediaeval jails, and a view over Bratislava from the tower.
  • Pharmacy Museum, tel.: +421 2 541 312 14
    This museum is housed in a former pharmacy, known as 'At the Red Crayfish', which still contains many of its original fittings. Its exhibits include ancient pharmaceutical literature, scales, dishes and other historical equipment from the museum's collection of several thousand items.
  • Museum of Clocks - House at the Good Shepherd, tel.: +421 2 544 119 40
    Housed within one of Bratislava's finest rococo buildings, this exhibition of antique timepieces covers clockmaking from the late 17th to the late 19th century. It includes a unique set of mobile sundials from the 17th and 18th centuries, portable and wall clocks, alarm clocks and some examples of wristwatches. Most of the exhibits are signed by Bratislava master clockmakers.
  • Johann Nepomuk Hummel Museum, tel.: +421 2 544 338 88
    Devoted to the composer and virtuoso pianist Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837), this museum is housed in a small renaissance-style courtyard house. The exhibition is part of the Bratislava City Museum and presents Hummel's life and work, as well as Bratislava's musical traditions. A piano is displayed on which the young Johann Nepomuk, a protégé of Mozart, learned to play.
  • Museum of Jewish Culture, tel.: 02/2049 0101
    Slovakia was once home to a thriving Jewish community, but it was largely destroyed during World War II and Bratislava is now one of the few Slovak cities where a sizeable Jewish community still exists. However, the city's Jewish legacy was further damaged by postwar building projects. The large Moorish synagogue that once stood close to St Martin's Cathedral was demolished prior to construction of the New Bridge in the 1960s, as was most of the ancient Jewish quarter under the castle.
  • Museum of Carpathian German Culture, tel.: 02/5441 5570
    Slovakia's German community has played a significant role in the country's history. This museum covers all fields of life of Carpathian Germans – clothing, textiles, domestic and craft production, industrial products, works of art and sacral objects. The museum is situated in a reconstructed building on Žižkova Street (no. 14), between the castle and the river, and documents the almost 900-year-long history and culture of Germans in Slovakia.
  • Museum of Hungarian Culture in Slovakia, tel.: +421 2204 912 58
    Hungarian-speakers are Slovakia's largest minority. The Museum of Hungarian Culture in Slovakia is a specialised museum of the Slovak National Museum that focuses on the history and culture of Hungarians in Slovakia. It is located in the reconstructed Brämer manor house on Žižkova Street.
  • Museum of Arms - Michael´s Tower, tel.: +421 2 544 330 44
    The Museum of Arms includes displays on the history of Bratislava's fortifications, various types of bladed weapons, tournament arms, and the development of firearms. It also documents the crafts used in the town's defences, as practised by Bratislava's metalworkers and gunsmiths. The museum's top floor provides access to the gallery of Michael's Tower, from which there is a fine view over the historical centre of Bratislava and its surroundings.
  • Palace Cinemas, tel.: +421 2 682 022 22
    Multiplex Palace Cinemas, najväčšie a najviac navštevované kino na Slovensku, bol otvorený v máji 2002 v obľúbenom nákupnom centre Aupark v Bratislave. Náš multiplex je často využívaný na usporiadanie slávnostných premiér a Medzinárodného filmového festivalu Bratislava.Okrem bežných filmov ponúkame aj filmy pre náročných divákov, zaradené do sekcie ART Palace. Všetky kinosály sú klimatizované.
  • Slovak Philharmonic, tel.: +421 2 592 082 33
  • Slovak National Gallery - Water barracks, tel.: +421 2 204 962 43
    The Slovak National Gallery was founded in 1948 as the top state institution in the fields of art history, art collecting, scientific research, culture and education. The gallery in Bratislava consists of a complex of buildings. The central building was originally a four-wing baroque residence on the Danube embankment (hence its name: the Water Barracks) built in 1759-1763 (after a design by architects G.B. Martinelli and F.A. Hillebrandt). This was later reconstructed and an extension was built (1969-1977; designed by architect V. Dedeček) to meet new requirements.
  • Bratislava City Museum - Old Town Hall, tel.: +421 2 591 008 11
    Bratislava City Museum was founded by the Bratislava Resident's Association in 1868, and its first exhibition opened in 1872. It comprises several institutions, including the Museum of Arms at Michael's Tower, the Pharmacy Museum, the Museum of Clocks and the national cultural monuments of Devín Castle and the former Roman settlement of Gerulata.
  • Ancient Gerulata, tel.: +421 2 628 593 32
    Gerulata is a country museum (only open in summer) on the site where archaeologists excavated the remains of a Roman military camp and settlement. Soldiers and civilians lived here from the second half of the 1st century to the end of the 4th century. The museum can be reached by taking the turn at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene.
 
Expand all tree of contacts | Display in the table
 

Context

Placing: Organizational items > What to See

Display search form »


 

Current poster:
Tourcentrope

Mode No graphics is currently switched on.


web & design , editorial system | To log in