Path: Home Page
The fate of Bratislava was decided at the postwar peace talks in Paris. When, at the end of 1918, it became clear that it was to be incorporated in the new Czechoslovak Republic, city representatives decided to rename the city Wilsonovo Mesto (literally, Wilson City), after US president Thomas Woodrow Wilson and in recognition of American support for the new republic. Some city representatives demanded that the negotiating powers acknowledge it as a free city. Their proposal was rejected and the city, which had been called Pressburg, Pozsony and Prešpork, became part of the Czechoslovak Republic in January 1919. The new name of the city was approved on 27 March 1919, and Bratislava appeared on the map of Europe.
Mode No graphics is currently switched on.