Sister sites


  BratislavaVisit

official site for visitors to Bratislava  


Find

Help | Advanced Search


Path: Home Page


 
 

From Napoleon to WWI.

Napoleonec
The beginning of the 19th century was marked by the Napoleonic wars. In 1805, following the Battle of Austerlitz (Slavkov), the French and Austrians signed the Treaty of Pressburg in the Mirror Hall of the Primatial Palace in Bratislava. The treaty did not last long, however, and just a few years later, in 1809, Napoleon’s army bombarded the city with cannon fire from the right bank of the Danube.
 

 
 

From the 1830s the city experienced a sharp growth in industrial production, supported by the arrival of modern transport. The appearance of steamships capable of upstream travel made rapid transportation of goods possible via the River Danube. In 1848 the first steam train arrived in Bratislava. The last major political event in the city under Hungarian rule was a session of the Hungarian Diet in 1847-1848. In March 1848 the Diet voted to abolish serfdom. Emperor Ferdinand V then visited Bratislava and on 11 April 1848 signed and promulgated the so-called March Laws in the Mirror Hall of the Primatial Palace. After this session of the Diet ended the political seat of the Kingdom of Hungary was relocated to Pest, and Bratislava lost much of its political significance.

 

 
Responsible: Nina Turčanová
Created / changed: 24.7.2006 / 11.7.2008

Context

Placing: Document folders > History
 

Display search form »


 

Current poster:
Ba card

Mode No graphics is currently switched on.


web & design , editorial system | To log in